How do I start a Reading Group?
- Make a list of all your book-loving friends
- Ask them if they’d like to read a good book
and then chat about it (you could send a group email)
- If you don’t have many people on your list,
why don’t you see if your friends know anyone
who might like to come along…it’s a great
way to meet new people.
- Once you’ve got your group, you need to decide
on a place to meet up. It could be at one of your
houses or at school in your lunch hour, but check
this is ok with a parent or teacher.
- Now you need to choose a book to read. There are
book title suggestions on this website which you can
print off and use.
- To make the meetings run smoothly, you will need
to agree upon a few things first:
- How often will the meetings be held?
(once or twice a month is usually best – this
gives people time to read the book)
- Who is going to lead the discussions?
(this will be the person who welcomes everybody
and starts off the discussion. You don’t have
to do all the talking as the idea is for everyone
to join in, but if people go off the topic then
you should try and bring people back to the list
- Who is in charge of bringing the question sheets
to the meeting?
- Do you want someone in charge of drinks and biscuits?
- Now you’re ready to get started, but make
sure everyone reads the book in time for the meeting
otherwise those who haven’t won’t all
be able to join in!
Back to top